Preservation and Restoration of Tokyo Station Marunouchi Building and Phase 2 of the Yaesu Entrance Development Project
East Japan Railway Company
September 6, 2011
East Japan Railway Company is going ahead with a project to develop "Tokyo Station City," an urban space located in and around Tokyo Station, as a diverse and attractive district equipped with the latest facilities and fit to serve as the public face of Tokyo, our capital city.
We are delighted to announce that we have now reached decisions regarding the opening dates and principal features of the most talked-about aspect of "Tokyo Station City," the preservation and restoration* of Tokyo Station Marunouchi Building, as well as the completion date for Phase II of the Yaesu Entrance Development Project.
|*||We use the word "restoration" to mean "take the existing building and restore to their original appearance those parts that have been altered since its original construction."|
|For details, please refer to the following attachment.|
|Attachment 1 [PDF/301KB]|
|Attachment 2 [PDF/392KB]|
- Preservation and Restoration of Tokyo Station Marunouchi Building
Since May 2007, we have been working to preserve and restore Tokyo Station Marunouchi Building, designated as an Important Cultural Property by the Government of Japan, while ensuring that it continues to function as a working station, and ensure the safety of the traveling public. When this project is complete, it will be a user-friendly historic structure that contributes to the creation of a stylish urban space in the center of our capital city.
- When restoration is complete, the station building will be used in the same way as the existing building, chiefly for station facilities, a hotel, and a station gallery.
- We will install a JR EAST Travel Service Center for overseas visitors.
- We will improve the Station Gallery’s display spaces and other services, with a view to creating an enjoyable exhibition venue where it is easier than before to study at close quarters Marunouchi Station Building, an Important Cultural Property.
- We plan to make the "Tokyo Station Hotel," situated in the station building, a hotel that combines history and modernity, drawing strength from its location within an Important Cultural Property, and appropriate to a central railway station that represents Japan.
For details, please refer to the following attachment. Attachment 3 [PDF/378KB]
[Scheduled Opening Dates, etc.]
Date 1. Partial Opening of Station Facilities June 2012 2. Opening of JR East Travel Service Center Monday, October 1, 2012 3. Opening of Tokyo Station Gallery Monday, October 1, 2012 4. Opening of Tokyo Station Hotel Wednesday, October 3, 2012 * The restored station building exterior (the south and north domes, the three floors of the façade, the roof and other features) will be visible from the end of March 2012. * The light up of the façade is planned at night starting October 2012.
- Phase II of the Yaesu Entrance Development Project
Phase I of the Tokyo Station Yaesu Area construction project (Gran Tokyo North Tower Phase I, Gran Tokyo South Tower) was completed at the end of October 2007. We are currently proceeding with Phase II of the construction project (Gran Tokyo North Tower Phase II, Central Section: Gran Roof) and preparation of the Yaesu Entrance Plaza.
For details, please refer to the following attachment. Attachment 4 [PDF/224KB]
[Scheduled Completion Dates]
Date Completion of North Tower Phase II
(Expansion of Department Store Space)
Late August 2012 Completion of Central Section: Gran Roof Fall 2013 * We will make a separate announcement regarding the opening dates of the department store (Daimaru Tokyo Store) and the shops in the Central Section. * Completion of the Yaesu Entrance Plaza is scheduled for Fall 2014.