This train provides service along the Koumi Line, which has many attractions, such as the panoramic views of Mount Yatsugatake and other mountainous terrain, bountiful harvests from the long days and extreme temperature differences, and excellent nighttime star-gazing. As this line travels at some of the highest altitudes for JR, the train was designed around the concept of "the train nearest the heavens."
Car no. 1: Paired seats
Car no. 1: Box seats
Car no. 1: Sales counter
Car no. 2: Reclining seats
Car no. 2: The HIGH RAIL gallery
Car no. 2 is furnished with the HIGH RAIL gallery, a space with circular bookcases filled with books on astronomy. Images of the night sky are projected on a hemispherical "dome" installed in the ceiling.
* The above information is current as of June 2020.
* The stops and times may be subject to change.
* A basic fare ticket and a reserved seat ticket are required for the HIGH RAIL 1375.
* Reserved seats are available from 10:00 one month before the departure date.
* Tickets can be purchased at JR ticket offices (Midori-no-madoguchi) and travel service centers (View Plaza) at key JR East stations and at major travel agencies. (They may not be available at some locations.)
Days marked with colored circles indicate the days this train service is in operation.
If you click on a date the train is in operation, you can search for empty seats and make a ticket reservation. * You need to have registered with JR-EAST Train Reservation.