Interurban Travel Using IC Tickets Becomes Even More Convenient!
East Japan Railway Company
Central Japan Railway Company
West Japan Railway Company
May 16, 2007
East Japan Railway Company (JR East), Central Japan Railway Company (JR Central) and West Japan Railway Company (JR West) have agreed to provide a new service by linking each company’s IC tickets starting in March 2008. This will greatly increase convenience for passengers traveling between major urban areas in Japan.
JR East, JR Central and JR West aim to offer a new style of railroad usage by realizing seamless transfer between Shinkansen and conventional lines using these IC tickets.
Increased conventional line areas allowing interchangeable use
- Current interchangeable use of Suica IC tickets issued by JR East and ICOCA IC tickets issued by JR West will be expanded to also include TOICA IC tickets issued by JR Central.
- Passengers will be able to use a single IC ticket within the Suica, TOICA and ICOCA areas.*
|*||Conventional line IC tickets cannot be used for transit between the Suica, TOICA and ICOCA areas.|
See Attachment 2 "Interchangeable Use of Conventional Line IC Cards".
Introduction of the "Express Reservation IC Card Service" to the Tokaido Shinkansen will realize seamless transfer between Shinkansen and conventional lines
- "Express Reservation"** service members will be issued a new Express IC Card allowing them to use the Tokaido Shinkansen.
- Passengers will be able to transfer seamlessly between the Tokaido Shinkansen and conventional lines in the Suica, TOICA and ICOCA areas by stacking the newly issued Express IC Card and their conventional line IC ticket, and touching them to the sensor of the Shinkansen transfer ticket gate.
- Passengers with a newly issued “Express IC Card” that has TOICA functions or a Mobile Suica compatible mobile phone that can use the Express Reservation IC Card Service will be able to ride the Tokaido Shinkansen and conventional lines in the Suica, TOICA and ICOCA areas seamlessly using a single card (mobile phone).
|**||"Express Reservation" is a membership type internet reservation service provided jointly by JR Central and JR West. (Annual membership fee required.)|
See Attachments 3-1 and 3-2 "Image of IC Card Express Reservation Service"
Increased Shinkansen convenience for Mobile Suica*** users
- A Mobile Suica Limited Express Ticket service will be introduced that allows ticket-less usage of JR East Shinkansen using only a Mobile Suica compatible mobile phone.
- Mobile Suica members that also become Express Reservation members**** will be able to use the Express Reservation IC Card Service with their Mobile Suica compatible mobile phones.
- Passengers will be able to ride the Shinkansen and conventional lines seamlessly using only their Mobile Suica compatible mobile phone.
|***||Mobile Suica is a service provided by JR East.|
|****||Separate annual membership fee required.|
See Attachment 4-1 "Shinkansen Boarding Service Using Mobile Suica Limited Express Tickets" and Attachment 4-2 "Image of Link between Mobile Suica and Express Reservation Services".
See Attachment 1 "Present and Scheduled Area of IC Card Service" for the IC ticket introduction areas.
Attachment 1: Present and Scheduled Areas of IC Card Service
|*||Interchangeable use between Suica and ICOCA started in August 2004.|
|*||Introduction of ICOCA to the Okayama and Hiroshima areas is planned for the summer of 2007 or later, and introduction of TOICA to the Shizuoka area is planned for March 2008.|
Attachment 2: Interchangeable Use of Conventional Line IC Cards
|*||Conventional line IC cards cannot be used for transit between the Suica, TOICA and ICOCA areas.|
Attachment 3-1: Image of IC Card Express Reservation Service (1/2)
Attachment 3-2: Image of IC Card Express Reservation Service (2/2)
|*2||Touch the Express IC Card with TOICA functions or the Mobile Suica compatible mobile phone that can use the Express Reservation IC Card Service to the ticket gate sensor.|