Mobile Suica Service to Start Saturday, January 28, 2006!
East Japan Railway Company
November 14, 2005
The long anticipated Mobile Suica service (membership required) employing mobile phones will start on Saturday January 28, 2006. This service combines the communications and screen display functions of mobile phones with the Suica system to bring advances that go beyond the Suica card. We're sure you'll appreciate the convenience the new Mobile Suica service provides.
- Service Commencement Schedule
The Mobile Suica service will be available beginning at 4:00 a.m. on Saturday January 28, 2006.
Note: Some service components, such as purchase of commuter passes, will be available starting at 5:00 a.m.
- Features of Mobile Suica Service
(1) "Touch and Go," Just Like a Suica Card As with a Suica card, you can "touch and go" using your Mobile Suica compatible mobile phone. Just hold your mobile phone near the sensor of the automatic fare gate and be on your way.
You can also use your Mobile Suica compatible mobile phone as "electronic money" at any business that currently accepts payment by Suica card.
(2) You Can Add Value or Purchase Commuter Passes Whenever and Wherever You Want There's no need to line up at the ticket machines in the station. Using the communications function of your mobile phone, you can add SF (stored fare) value wherever you may be. You can even use your mobile phone to purchase a Suica commuter pass or Suica Green Car (First-class Car) Tickets.
(3) On-Screen Usage Log You can check your current SF balance and usage log or view information on Suica commuter pass or Suica Green Car Ticket purchases on the screen of your mobile phone.
(4) Convenient Suica Green Car Tickets You can purchase Suica Green Car Tickets anyplace and anytime using your mobile phone. Mobile Green fares (equivalent to current prepaid fares) apply. Suica Green Car Tickets—Fare Comparison
Weekday Fare Holiday Fare Mobile Green Fare Prepaid Fare Fare Paid on Train Mobile Green Fare Prepaid Fare Fare Paid on Train Up to 50 km ¥750 ¥750 ¥1,000 ¥550 ¥550 ¥800 51 km and up ¥950 ¥950 ¥1,200 ¥750 ¥750 ¥1,000 (5) Protection in Case of Loss If your mobile phone is lost or stolen, you can have your Suica commuter pass and SF balance reissued.
(It may be necessary to use a new mobile phone handset in some cases.)
(6) Convertible from Suica Commuter Pass If you already have a (valid) Suica commuter pass, you can have it transferred to your Mobile Suica account when you register as a member. (This service is available only when initially registering as a Mobile Suica member.) (7) Support When You Need It The newly established Mobile Suica Call Center will provide customer support. Details will be announced at a later date. Note: SF stands for "stored fare" and refers to the prepaid fare value, which works the same way as with Suica iO cards. As with a Suica iO card, you add SF value to your Mobile Suica account beforehand and then use it to pay your fare when riding the train or as Suica electronic money to make purchases.
- Mobile Suica Service Area
(1) Use on Trains Mobile Suica can be used at all JR East stations within the Suica service area (including the Sendai and Niigata regions) and at all Tokyo Monorail and Tokyo Waterfront Area Rapid Transit (Rinkai Line) stations. (2) Use as Suica Electronic Money Mobile Suica can be used as electronic money at any business that currently accepts payment by Suica card (including drink vending machines and coin operated lockers).
- Usage Notes
(1) Any Mobile Suica compatible mobile phone handset model may be used with the Mobile Suica service. Mobile Phone Models Compatible with Mobile Suica
NTT DoCoMoF902i, N902i, P902i, SH902i, N901iS, P901iS, SH901iS KDDI (au)W32H, W32S
Note: The W32S must be upgraded to the latest version.
(2) A View card1 (JR East credit card) in the applicant's name is required in order to apply for Mobile Suica membership. Payment of Mobile Suica2 usage fees covering added SF value or purchase of Suica commuter passes and Suica Green Car Tickets will be made by means of the View card. (3) The applicant must provide the mobile phone used with the Mobile Suica service. (4) Packet communication charges apply on data transfers performed using the mobile phone's communications function (for membership registration, adding SF value, making purchases, etc.). (5) JR East eventually plans to charge an annual Mobile Suica membership fee in addition to the annual fee of the View card. However, no annual membership fee will be charged for the time being. Notes: 1 Includes participating cards such as Lumine card, JAL Card Suica, and Otona no Kyujitsu (Holiday for Seniors) Club Card. 2 Membership registrations will be accepted beginning at 4:00 a.m. on Saturday January 28, 2006.
- A promotional campaign will kick off on December 1 under which persons applying for a View Suica card (the collective name for View cards with Suica functions) will receive a ¥500 View gift certificate.
- A promotional campaign is planned to coincide with the start of the Mobile Suica service that will feature Mobile Suica information displays at major stations in the Tokyo metropolitan area (including Tokyo, Shinjuku, and Ueno). Details will be announced at a later date.
- Future Enhancements to Mobile Suica
In addition to the above, a variety of services will be made available to Mobile Suica members in future. (1) Green commuter pass and Shinkansen Commuter Pass services. (2) A service that will allow members to pay for online purchases made on the Internet using Mobile Suica SF value. (3) A service that will allow members to add SF value to their Mobile Suica accounts from a bank account. (4) A service that will allow members to reserve seats on JR East Shinkansen using Mobile Suica and then enjoy ticketless boarding.
- Web Site for Mobile Suica Members
A free Web site for Mobile Suica members will be launched, timed to coincide with the start of the Mobile Suica service. It will feature an array of information and content of interest to members. This Web site is part of a joint business venture between Recruit Co., Ltd., and East Japan Marketing & Communications, Inc., that is presently under study.
- Custom Mobile Suica Logo
A custom Mobile Suica logo has been created and will be featured in promotional posters, pamphlets, etc., to be used in locations related to Mobile Suica.